If visiting the fields of tulips in the Netherlands has always been on your bucket list, and you are wondering where to find the best ones, you’ve come to the right place!
Catching the fields of tulips in full bloom was a little tougher than I thought. So I want to fill you in on what I learned, to help you plan the best time to visit Amsterdam to see the tulips and where to find the best fields of tulips.
Here are the best places to find sprawling and vibrant tulip fields in The Netherlands!
If you don’t have time to read now, Pin it for later!
- Best Time to See the Tulip Fields
- Best Places to See Fields of Tulips in the Netherlands
- Courtesies When Visiting the Tulip Fields
- Where to Stay When Visiting the Fields of Tulips in the Netherlands
Best Time to See the Tulip Fields
The exact timing of the tulip season in the Netherlands is very unpredictable. The severity of the winter and how many warm days there have been that spring will affect the peak time of the fields of tulips. Generally late March through early May is the best time to visit Holland for increased chances of vast tulip fields in bloom.
In 2018, we visited right in the middle of April, but it was too early because of a colder than normal winter. We went again that same year at the beginning of May and we barely caught the end of tulip season.
The best advice I have heard is, when the daffodils around Europe start to die, it will be peak tulip season! It is also a good idea to check social media or this website for week by week Holland tulip updates of the field’s progress.
If you are planning an international trip, and don’t have the flexibility of booking a last minute flight, my best advice would be to plan for the middle to the end of April to ensure you don’t miss it all together.
Best Places to See Fields of Tulips in the Netherlands
1. Fields of Tulips Near Lisse
Lisse is the most famous town in the “Bulb Region” of The Netherlands which spans about 20 miles between the towns of Leiden and Haarlem.
Only a 30 minute drive from Amsterdam, Lisse is a very popular choice for day-trippers to visit the tulip fields. There are many tour agencies that run day-trip tours which will include transportation and entrance fees to the Keukenhof Tulip Garden.
If you are looking for a more personal way to explore the fields of tulips near Lisse, my suggestion is to rent a bike from Rent-a-Bike Van Dam and ride around yourself. There are two rental locations, at Keukenhof or Noordwijkerhout, and bikes can be rented for 10 EUR. There are suggested biking routes which will take you past the most vibrant fields of tulips in the area.
Pro Tip: If you rent bikes from the Keukenhof location, you must enter into the Keukenhof parking lot parking which requires an 8 EUR parking fee. Therefore, we suggest renting from the Noordwijkerhout location for the free parking and avoidance of the crowds.
Cities to Explore Nearby
Obvious choices for cities to explore nearby are Haarlem or The Hague. If you want something a little different than another city, the town of Zandvoort is a beach town and it very lively during the summer months with restaurants right along the beach.
2. Keukenhof Gardens in Lisse
Keukenhof Gardens is the famous tulip garden in Lisse, Netherlands. It even has the title of being the “most beautiful spring garden in the world”!
With this title, you can bet that Keukenhof Gardens draws quite the crowd. If you want to visit the beautifully landscaped gardens, be there right before it opens and plan to leave by noon to avoid the peak crowds.
Keukenhof is generally open from late March through the beginning of May. Tickets for Keukenhof Gardens can only be purchased in advance online for a specific time slot. Dogs are allowed inside the garden, if kept on a leash.
3. Fields of Tulips in Noordoostpolder
The area around Noordoostpolder is still relatively undiscovered by tourists, and therefore it is the perfect place to enjoy the tulip fields in the Netherlands without the crowds. You can read about the tulip fields and the annual tulip festival on the town’s website here.
Cities to Explore Nearby
My favorite suggestion of cities to explore nearby would be the sleepy farming town of Amersfoort, Netherlands or the lively University town of Utrecht, Netherlands
4. Fields of Tulips on the Island of Goeree-Overflakkee
Goeree-Overflakkee is the southernmost delta island of the province of South Holland, Netherlands. Still only about 2 hours South of Amsterdam, this island is a fun area to explore as it basically turns into floating tulip fields in the springtime!
Cities to Explore Nearby
The fin towns of The Hague or Rotterdam in The Netherlands are an obvious choice if you are looking for more to explore nearby. Also a quick visit to the Kinderdijk windmills could easily be added to your itinerary!
5. Fields of Tulips in Zeeland Provence
Another unknown place to the general tourist to discover tulip fields is the town of Zeeuws-Vlaanderen in the Zeeland Provence. Located just across from the Belgian border, this area of the Netherlands is not very lively, however it is home to several flowers fields during the springtime in the Netherlands. In this same areas, you can find several more flower fields in between the towns of Axel and Nieuw-Namen.
Cities to Explore Nearby
Since the Zeeland Provence of The Netherlands is so close to the Belgian border, you can easily combine a trip to these fields with a visit to Ghent, Belgium or Antwerp, Belgium.
Courtesies When Visiting the Tulip Fields
- Respect the farmers’ tulips. The tulips are the farmer’s crops which they use to make a livelihood.
- Do not pick any flowers from the farmer’s fields and be careful where you are stepping to not damage the crop.
- If a field is roped off, please do not enter it.
- Do not leave any trash or belonging behind in the fields.
- Most farmers live next to their crops, so keep your voice level reasonable and don’t play any loud music.
- Be Friendly to the locals. Even though the area fills with tourists during the spring, the residents and farmers are very friendly and welcoming. Show your kindness back to them.
Where to Stay When Visiting the Fields of Tulips in the Netherlands
You can easily visit any of these fields on a day trip from Amsterdam. However, there are also many other charming cities outside of Amsterdam to explore and save on hotel costs as Amsterdam is generally very expensive.
- Our number one choice so far is Utrecht. An hour drive from Lisse, on the south east side of Amsterdam, Utrecht is a very young and vibrant city. This is a great city to retreat for the night after a day of exploring flowers and enjoy a nice dinner.
- One of the closest places we have stayed to Lisse, roughly 20 minutes away, was in Oegstgeest. We stayed at the Landgoed Kasteel Oud-Poelgeest hotel which had been transformed from a 20th century coach house, with a castle right on the property!
- If you want to add some beach to your visit, you can stay on the sea-side city of Zandvoort. We stopped here for lunch one day and had the most perfect meal on the beach at Ubuntu Strand Bar.
Related Post: The Perfect 2-day Amsterdam Itinerary
Are you getting excited to visit the fields of tulips in the Netherlands? If you found this article helpful, pin it for later or leave a comment below.
You may also enjoy these other European flower related posts:
- Where to Find the Best Fields of Tulips in the Netherlands
- Where to Find the Best Lavender Fields in Provence
- How to Visit the Cherry Blossom Avenue in Bonn, Germany
- Spring in Paris: the Best Spots for Blossoms